StarCraft II End User License Agreement
IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.
Last Updated February 11, 2013
THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD. BY INSTALLING, COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THE GAME (DEFINED BELOW), YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO INSTALL, COPY OR USE THE GAME. IF YOU REJECT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER YOUR PURCHASE, YOU MAY ARRANGE TO RETURN THE GAME TO YOUR RETAILER, OR CONTACT US, AND YOU SHOULD DELETE THE SOFTWARE PROGRAM IMMEDIATELY.
Additional License Limitations. The license granted to you in Section 1 above is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the “License Limitations”). Any use of the Game in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:
- In whole or in part, copy or reproduce (except as provided herein),translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on the Game, or remove any proprietary notices or labels form the Game unless explicitly allowed by the provisions under Art. 6 of Council Directive 91/250/EEC of 14 May 1991 on the legal protection of computer programs; notwithstanding the foregoing you may make one (1) backup copy of the Software Program and the Manuals;
- Exploit the Game or any of its parts for any commercial purpose without Blizzard’s express permission, with the sole exception that you may use the Game, or copies of the Game, on the Service at a cyber cafe, computer gaming center or any other location based site;
- Use any unauthorized third-party software that intercepts, “mines", or otherwise collects information from or through the Game or the Service, including without limitation any software that reads areas of RAM used by the Game to store information; provided, however, that Blizzard may, at its sole and absolute discretion, allow the use of certain third party user interfaces;
- Modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;
- Host, provide or develop matchmaking services for the Game or intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard in any way, for any purpose, including without limitation unauthorized play over the internet, network play (except as expressly authorized by Blizzard), or as part of content aggregation networks;
- Facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation (a) any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service; and (b) any connection using third party programs or toolsж
- Attempt to sell, sublicense, rent, lease, grant a security interest in or otherwise transfer any copy of the Game or your rights to the Game to any other party in any way not expressly authorized herein; or
- Use the Map Editor (defined below) to access or edit anything other than content included in an authorized copy of STARCRAFT® II licensed to you.
Map Editor. The Game includes a program that allows you to create custom levels, maps, scenarios or other materials for use in connection with the Game (the “Map Editor”). The following terms are specific to the Map Editor:
- Map Editors can be used to create games, maps, levels and other content (“Modified Maps”) that can only be used in conjunction with the Game’s engine that is associated with a particular Map Editor.
- The manner in which Modified Maps can be used or exploited is set forth in the Mod Acceptable Use Policy, the terms of which are incorporated into this Agreement by this reference, and which can be found at http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/legal/acceptable-use.html.
- ALL MODIFIED MAPS ARE AND SHALL REMAIN THE SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE PROPERTY OF BLIZZARD. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, YOU HEREBY ASSIGN TO BLIZZARD ALL OF YOUR RIGHTS, TITLE AND INTEREST IN AND TO ALL MODIFIED MAPS, AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL EXECUTE FUTURE ASSIGNMENTS PROMPTLY UPON RECEIVING SUCH A REQUEST FROM BLIZZARD. As far as an assignment is not possible or is not possible on a worldwide basis, you hereby grant to Blizzard an exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, assignable and sublicensable, temporally and geographically unlimited right to use the Modified Maps for any purpose and in any way. This granting of rights includes, but is not limited to, the right to reproduce, distribute and publish the Modified Maps and to make the Modified Maps available to the public, in particular through the Service with the possibility of third parties to use, edit or modify the Modified Maps. The right to use the Modified Maps includes all types of uses unknown at the time of granting the rights. It is granted for an indefinite period of time and without any territorial restrictions. The right may be assigned or sublicensed to third parties by Blizzard without any restrictions.
Ownership. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Game and all copies thereof (including without limitation any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, structural or landscape designs, animations, sounds, musical compositions and recordings, audio-visual effects, storylines, character likenesses, methods of operation, moral rights, and any related documentation) are owned or licensed by Blizzard. The Game is protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international treaties and conventions, and other laws. The Game may contain materials licensed by third parties, and the licensors of those materials may enforce their rights in the event of any violation of this License Agreement. You have no interest, monetary or otherwise, in any feature or content contained in the Game or associated with the Account.
Pre-Loaded Software. The media on which the Game is distributed may contain additional software that requires a separate license before it can be used (“Additional Software”). You agree that Blizzard may install this Additional Software on your hard drive as part of the Game installation process. You also agree that you will not access, use, distribute, copy, display, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile or create derivative works based on this Additional Software until and unless you receive from Blizzard a license to use it along with a valid alphanumeric key with which to activate all or portions of the Additional Software. The terms of the End User License Agreement displayed during the installation or activation of the Additional Software will replace and supersede this Agreement, but only with regard to those portions of the Additional Software for which you receive a license from Blizzard. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, you may make one (1) copy of the Additional Software for archival purposes only.
No Transfer or Sublicense. THE GAME IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD. NEITHER THE GAME NOR THE LICENSE GRANTED IN SECTION 1 MAY BE SUBLICENSED OR TRANSFERRED TO ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY, AND ANY ATTEMPT TO DO SO SHALL BE NULL AND VOID. If a court of competent jurisdiction finds the foregoing sentence to be unenforceable, you agree that you will contact Blizzard Customer Service by email at WOWBILLINGSUPPORTEU@BLIZZARD.COM to arrange for the transfer of your rights under this Agreement to another person with a valid Battle.net account; provided, however, that Blizzard may charge a processing/handling fee to facilitate the transfer, issue a unique key to the transferee, and remove the preexisting key from the Battle.net account registered to you.
Consent to Monitor. DURING YOUR REGISTRATION FOR THE BATTLE.NET ACCOUNT YOU GRANT YOUR CONSENT TO THE FOLLOWING: WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN “UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 2. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, THE GAME MAY (a) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR (b) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.
Terms and Termination.
- Term. This Agreement is effective upon adding the Game license to a Battle.net account, and shall remain in effect until for a reasonable period of time. In the event that Blizzard chooses to cease providing the Service, or license to a third party the right to provide the Service, Blizzard shall provide you with no less than three (3) months prior notice. Neither the Service nor Blizzard 's agreement to provide access to the Service shall be considered a rental or lease of time on or capacity of Blizzard 's servers or other technology.
Export Controls. The Game may not be re-exported, downloaded or otherwise exported into (or to a national or resident of) any country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods, or to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department's Table of Denial Orders. You represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list.
Patches and Updates. Blizzard may deploy or provide patches, updates and modifications to the Game that must be installed for you to continue to play the Game. Blizzard may update the Game remotely, including without limitation the Game residing on your machine, without your knowledge, and you hereby grant to Blizzard your consent to deploy and apply such patches, updates and modifications.
Additional Manufacturer’s Guarantee for the retail version of the Game. In the event that tangible media (e.g. CD-ROMs or DVDs) containing a retail version of the Game were purchased in the European Union and they prove to be defective and provided you inform Blizzard of such defect within (i) two (2) months from the day you detected such defect and (ii) within two (2) years from the date of the purchase of the Game, Blizzard will, upon presentation to Blizzard of proof of purchase of the defective media and the media itself, at its sole discretion 1) correct any defect, 2) replace the Game, or 3) refund your money. This guarantee does not affect or restrict the statutory warranty claims that you may have against the retailer of the Game.
If you are a resident of Australia, the benefits provided to you by this Limited Warranty are in addition to other rights or remedies you may have under local laws related to the goods to which the warranty applies. Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure. The provisions of this clause containing the Limited Warranty and the clause containing the Limitation of Liability and Indemnity below apply only to the extent permitted by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth). The entitlement to a replacement or a refund for a major failure is not subject to Blizzard’s option. To submit a warranty claim to Blizzard, please call 1800 041 378 or send to PO Box 544, Pyrmont NSW 2009 Australia. The user is responsible for the costs of returning media to Blizzard.
Limitation of Liability. As regards the online service provided by Blizzard, for damages or compensation of unavailing expenditures, whatever the legal basis including tort may be, the following rules apply: Blizzard may only be liable in cases of where it is adjudged that Blizzard: (i) engaged in intentionally damaging conduct; (ii) was grossly negligent; and/or (iii) is in breach of the requirements of the Product Liability Act according to statutory law. If you acquired the media containing the Game Client in Germany or Austria or if you access Blizzard’s servers, including Blizzard’s Battle.net servers, from the territory of Germany or Austria or in such other countries where local laws would apply, Blizzard may also be liable in case of death or personal or physical injury according to statutory law where Blizzard is adjudged to be responsible for such death or personal or physical injury. Blizzard shall not be liable for slight negligence. However, if you acquired the media containing the Game Client in Germany or Austria or if you access Blizzard’s servers, including Blizzard’s Battle.net servers, from the territory of Germany or Austria, Blizzard may also be liable for slight negligence if Blizzard is adjudged to be in breach of such contractual obligation hereunder, the fulfillment of which is required for the due performance under this Agreement, the breach of which would endanger the purpose of this Agreement and the compliance with which you may constantly trust in. In such cases, Blizzard's liability is limited to typical and foreseeable damages. In other cases Blizzard shall not be liable for slight negligence..
Rights on Breach. The Game, as well as the trademarks and copyrighted content contained therein and associated with the Game are the copyrighted property of Blizzard Entertainment, and, through the efforts of Blizzard Entertainment, has established substantial goodwill and recognition. In the event of a significant breach of the terms of this Agreement, Blizzard Entertainment reserves its right to take all legal actions which may be available to a licensor of intellectual property under the law to protect its rights in its property. In the event that Blizzard Entertainment is the prevailing party in any such actions, Blizzard Entertainment shall see any and all rights that may be available to Blizzard Entertainment under the law to recover damages, costs of suit and its attorneys fees.
Changes to the Agreement. Blizzard may, from time to time change, modify, add to, supplement or delete this Agreement. Those changes will be effective upon prior notice as follows: Blizzard will post notification of any such changes to this Agreement on the website located at www.battle.net and will post any revised version of this Agreement in this location, and may provide other notice which may include by email, postal mail or pop-up screen. If any future changes to this Agreement are unacceptable to you or cause you to no longer be in compliance with this Agreement, you may cease to use the Game and terminate this Agreement in accordance with Section 9 herein. After expiry of one (1) month following the notification the continued use of the Game and Service by you will mean you accept any and all such changes. With the notification, Blizzard will remind you that your continued use after the expiration of one (1) month following the notification means that you accept any and all changes. The modified version of the Agreement shall enter into force at the beginning of the second month following the notification, unless Blizzard has received a notification of termination from you by that time.
I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand the foregoing License Agreement and agree that by installing the Game I am acknowledging my agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of this License Agreement.