Diablo III End User License Agreement
IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.
THIS VERSION OF THE BATTLE.NET END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT WILL BECOME EFFECTIVE ON MARCH 18, 2014 AT 12:00 A.M., G.M.T.
Last Updated February 11, 2014
YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT BEFORE INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE PROGRAM. THIS SOFTWARE PROGRAM IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD. BY INSTALLING, COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THE GAME (DEFINED BELOW), YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO INSTALL OR USE THE GAME. IF YOU REJECT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER YOUR PURCHASE, YOU MAY ARRANGE TO RETURN THE GAME TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU PURCHASED IT OR CONTACT US, AND YOU SHOULD DELETE THE SOFTWARE PROGRAM IMMEDIATELY.
Additional License Limitations. The license granted to you in Section 1 above is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the “License Limitations”). Any use of the Game in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:
- In whole or in part, copy or reproduce (except as provided herein), translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on the Game, or remove any proprietary notices or labels from the Game unless explicitly allowed by the provisions under Art. 6 of Council Directive 91/250/EEC of 14 May 1991 on the legal protection of computer programs; notwithstanding the foregoing you may make one (1) backup copy of the Software Program and the Manuals;
- Exploit the Game or any of its parts for any commercial purpose without Blizzard’s express permission, except that you may use the Game on the Service at a publicly available cyber café or computer gaming center ;
- Use any unauthorized third-party software that intercepts, “mines”, or otherwise collects information from or through the Game or the Service, including without limitation any software that reads areas of RAM used by the Game to store information;
- Modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;
- Create, utilize or transact in “Duplicated Items.” A “Duplicated Item” is any item in the Game created or copied by exploiting errors in the Game’s design, features which have not been documented, errors in the Service, and/or program bugs;
- Host, provide or develop matchmaking services for the Game or intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard in any way, for any purpose, including without limitation unauthorized play over the internet, network play (except as expressly authorized by Blizzard), or as part of content aggregation networks;
- Facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation (a) any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service; and (b) any connection using third party programs or tools; or
- Attempt to sell, license, sublicense, rent, lease, lend, grant a security interest in or otherwise transfer any copy of the Game or your rights to the Game to any other party in any way not expressly authorized herein or let any other third person use the Game and/or the Account.
Ownership. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Game and all copies thereof (including without limitation any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, structural or landscape designs, animations, sounds, musical compositions and recordings, audio-visual effects, storylines, character likenesses, methods of operation, moral rights, and any related documentation) are owned or licensed by Blizzard Entertainment or Blizzard. The Game is protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international treaties and conventions, and other laws. The Game may contain materials licensed by third parties, and the licensors of those materials may enforce their rights in the event of any violation of this License Agreement. You have no interest, monetary or otherwise, in any feature or content contained in the Game or associated with the Account.
Pre-Loaded Software. The media on which the Game is distributed may contain additional software and/or content that requires a separate license before it can be used (“Additional Software”). You agree that Blizzard may install this Additional Software on your hard drive as part of the Game installation process. You also agree that you will not access, use, distribute, copy, display, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile or create derivative works based on this Additional Software until and unless you receive a license to use it along with a valid alphanumeric key with which to activate all or portions of the Additional Software. The terms of the End User License Agreement displayed during the installation or activation of the Additional Software will replace and supersede this Agreement, but only with regard to those portions of the Additional Software for which you receive a license from Blizzard. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, you may make one (1) backup copy of the Additional Software.
No Transfer or SublicenseTHE GAME IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD. THE LICENSE GRANTED IN SECTION 1 MAY NOT BE SUBLICENSED OR TRANSFERRED TO ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY, AND ANY ATTEMPT TO DO SO SHALL BE NULL AND VOID.
Consent to Monitor. DURING YOUR REGISTRATION FOR THE BATTLE.NET ACCOUNT YOU GRANT YOUR CONSENT TO THE FOLLOWING: WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER’S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN “UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM” AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 2. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, (a) THE GAME MAY COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR (b) BLIZZARD MAY EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.
Termination If you fail to comply with any terms contained in this License Agreement, Blizzard will provide you with a warning of your non-compliance. In case of a serious violation of this License Agreement, Blizzard will be entitled to immediately terminate the Service without any prior warning. Serious violations are violations of important provisions which include Section 2 of this License Agreement or repeated violations of other provisions of this License Agreement, including further non-compliance where you already have received a prior warning.
Export Controls The Game may not be re-exported, downloaded or otherwise exported into (or to a national or resident of) any country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods, or to anyone on the U.S. Commerce Department's Denied Persons List or Entity List. You represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list.
Patches and Updates Blizzard and or Blizzard Entertainment may deploy or provide patches, updates and modifications to the Game that must be installed for you to continue to play the Game. Blizzard may update the Game remotely, including without limitation the Game residing on your machine, without your knowledge, and you hereby grant to Blizzard your consent to deploy and apply such patches, updates and modifications.
Restrictions. Duration of the “On-line” Component of the Game. This Game is playable ‘on-line,’ and must connect to the Internet through the Service, as provided by Blizzard, before it can be used. It is your entire responsibility to secure an Internet connection and all fees related thereto shall be at your own charge. Blizzard will use reasonable efforts to provide the Service all day, every day. However, Blizzard reserves the right to temporarily suspend the Service for maintenance, testing, replacement and repair of the telecommunications equipment related to the Game, as well as for transmission interruption or any other operational needs of the system. Blizzard will provide you with 24 hours advance notice of any temporary suspension of the Game on the Game’s log-in screen, except in case of urgency. Blizzard agrees to provide the servers and software necessary to access the Service until such time as the Game is “Out of Publication”. The Game shall be considered “Out of Publication” following the date that the Game is no longer manufactured and/or distributed by Blizzard, or its affiliates. Thereafter, Blizzard may, in its sole and absolute discretion, continue to provide the Service or license to third parties the right to provide the Service. However, nothing contained herein shall be construed so as to place an obligation upon Blizzard to provide the Service beyond the time that the Game is Out of Publication. In the event that Blizzard determines that it is in its best interest to cease providing the Service, or license to a third party the right to provide the Service, Blizzard shall provide you with no less than three (3) months prior notice. Neither the Service nor Blizzard’s agreement to provide access to the Service shall be considered a rental or lease of time on or capacity of Blizzard’s servers or other technology.
Additional Manufacturer’s Guarantee for the retail version of the Game. The present guarantee does not affect or restrict the statutory warranty claims that you may have against the retailer of the Game. This is an additional guarantee contractually offered by Blizzard. In the event that tangible media (e.g. CD-ROMs or DVDs) containing a retail version of the Game were purchased in the European Union and they prove to be defective and provided you inform Blizzard of such defect within (i) two (2) months from the day you detected such defect and (ii) within two (2) years from the date of the purchase of the Game, Blizzard will, upon presentation to Blizzard of proof of purchase of the defective media and the media itself, at its sole discretion 1) correct any defect, 2) replace the Game, or 3) refund your money.
Limitation of Liability
- Blizzard is liable in accordance with statutory law (i) in case of intentional breach, (ii) in case of gross negligence, (iii) for damages arising as result of any injury to life, limb or health or (iv) under any applicable product liability act. Gross negligence refers to an action or omission of significant carelessness, demonstrating a clear disregard of one’s basic duties.
- Without limiting the liability under Article 13.1. above, Blizzard is only liable for slight negligence in case of a breach of a material contractual obligation. Material contractual obligation means any obligation (i) which is necessary for the fulfilment of the Agreement, (ii) the breach of which would jeopardize the purpose of the Agreement and (iii) the compliance with which one may generally trust in. In such cases, the liability will be limited to the typical and foreseeable damages. Slight negligence means any negligence which is not gross negligence.
Rights on Breach. The Game, as well as the trademarks and copyrighted content contained therein and associated with the Game are the copyrighted property of Blizzard Entertainment, and, through the efforts of Blizzard Entertainment, has established substantial goodwill and recognition. In the event of a significant breach of the terms of this Agreement, Blizzard Entertainment reserves its right to take all legal actions which may be available to a licensor of intellectual property under the law to protect its rights in its property. In the event that Blizzard Entertainment is the prevailing party in any such actions, Blizzard Entertainment shall see any and all rights that may be available to Blizzard Entertainment under the law to recover damages, costs of suit and its attorneys fees.
Changes to the Agreement. Blizzard may, from time to time, change or modify this License Agreement. In this case Blizzard will notify you of any such changes or modifications by providing special notice. If you do not object to the amended License Agreement within one (1) month following the special notice, your continued use of Diablo III will mean that you accept the amended License Agreement. With the special notice Blizzard will remind you that your continued use after the expiration of one (1) month following the special notice means that you accept any and all changes. Those changes or modifications will not affect essential characteristics of the service.
I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand the License Agreement and agree that by installing the Game I am acknowledging my agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of this License Agreement.